Wednesday 17 October 2012

Cheese Scones

What is it about cheese scones?


They are yummy, yummy comfort food and super quick for a nice warming lunch time treat.

And yet the world seems divided into those who can and those who cant make a scone.

I have been making scones since I was little and I use a trusted and well tested recipe. Its not a secret and I am going to share.

So the recipe is from my coveted cookbook

The Diary Book of Home Cookery - by Sonia Allison
(C) Milk Marketing Board of England and Wales - 1977


I in fact have two copies - the one that I don't use, the one that's complete.

Then there is the one I inherited from my Mum. The one that I learnt to cook with. The one that shows it has been well used:


It fell apart and I recovered it when I was a teenager.
If you look through the book then you will find doodles and scribbles by me when I was little.
This book does hold so many memories.
























So to make scones.


All purpose Scones 

200g/8oz self-raising flour
1/2 level teaspoon salt
50g/2oz butter
125ml/1/4 pint milk
Extra milk for brushing

  1. Sift flour and salt into a bowl
  2. Rub in butter finely
  3. Add milk all at once. Mix to soft, but not sticky, dough with knife
  4. Turn on to lightly floured board. Kneed quickly until smooth
  5. Roll out to about 1cm / 1/4in thickness
  6. Cut into 9 or 10 rounds with 6cm / 2 1/2in biscuit cutter
  7. Transfer to buttered baking tray. Brush tops with milk (this is key do not let the milk run down the sides or they wont rise)
  8. Bake towards the top of hot oven (230 C / 450 F / Gas No. 8) for 7 - 10 minutes (or until well risen and golden brown)
  9. Cool on wire rack. Serve with butter or whipped cream and jam, or butter and cheese.
Now thats the basic - want to make them into cheese scones? Yes. Well its simple:

Cheese Scones
  1. follow recipe above
  2. Add 1 level teaspoon dry mustard and pinch of Cayenne pepper with the flour and salt
  3. Mix in 50g/2oz very finely grated Cheddar cheese before adding the milk.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...